If you are travelling Hanoi then you should consider at least 3-5 days for city excluding Ha Long Bay. The best place to stay in Hanoi can be the old quarter, the famous for the house of backpackers. Now get ready to explore mouth-watering breakfast around the hotel and dinner in the main street. Our itinerary was 2-day trip Hanoi city and one day trip in Ninh Bình province.
The first day of day trip Hanoi
- One Pillar Pagoda It is the most iconic temple around the city and very next to the Ho Chi Minh Museum.
- Temple of Literature This is the oldest temple and first Vietnam national university devoted to education. Even nowadays you can see many college students come there to click a graduation photo shoot.
- Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum It’s a memorial built in the memory of Vietnamese leader Ho Chi Minh.
- Trấn Quốc Pagoda Oldest Buddhist temple in Hanoi and the best place to relax near a lake and enjoy the serenity.
- Dinner Like we are vegetarian so we moved to Namaste Hanoi for dinner, a bit expensive but good for the authentic taste of Indian cuisine.
- Thang Long Water Puppet Theatre I highly recommend this place even the show is in Vietnamese but the best part is to watch artistic work. Travelling Hanoi can’t be completed without visiting this place. homepage link
- Hoàn Kiếm Lake I love the ambience of this place especially in early morning or late evening lights.
- The local market around the lake You can see many nice souvenir and craft here, I love hat and egg cover painting.
- Dinner Around the lake you can find many Asian cuisines and BBQ houses.
Full day Hoa Lu Tam Coc trip This is a nice place to discover Halong Bay on land. Nice paddy field and boating in Ngo Dong River. My recommendation is to go early morning or late afternoon when the place is quieter. Additionally do not forget to keep some money for the tip to rowers. In another word they will definitely ask you as a custom. Almost any trip provides you buffet lunch with boating and cycling.
Also read: My 7 Wonders Includes Ha Long Bay
Dinner You can have dinner in the old quarter nearby hotel as they will drop you around 18:00 at your hotel.
You can also consider Vạn Phúc silk village and Bat Trang Ceramic Village For your other days stay or just replace existing one based on your interest. 3 days trip hanoi is not sufficient, however it was time constraint, so we left early.